Information is available to members via the orchestra mailing list with information on rehearsals, subscriptions, music, concerts, publicity, tickets, section leaders etc.
Pieces for Term 1 2020
Mendelssohn – Violin Concerto
2222 2200 timpani strings
Shostakovich – Symphony No. 5
3233 4331 timpani percussion harp keyboard strings
Rehearsal schedule for Term 1
All rehearsals are at St Andrew’s on The Terrace. Rehearsals in the Church may be moved into the Hall at short notice, except when the piano is needed.
This is the draft rehearsal schedule. Dates are yet to be confirmed with the soloist.
|28 Jan||Church||6:30–8:00 strings Shostakovich|
8:15–9:45 wind & brass Shostakovich
|4 Feb||Church||Shostakovich run through|
9:00–9:45 Mendelssohn run through
|11 Feb||Hall||Shostakovich 1 & 4|
|18 Feb||Church||Shostakovich 2 & 3|
no trombones or tuba
|25 Feb||Church||Mendelssohn with soloist|
Shostakovich 1 & 4
|3 Mar||Church||Shostakovich run|
|10 Mar||Hall strings|
Church wind & brass
|17 Mar||Church||Mendelssohn with soloist|
Shostakovich 2 & 3
no trombones or tuba
|24 Mar||Church||Shostakovich run then rehearse|
Shostakovich as needed
setup at 1:00 pm for a 1:30 pm start
setup at 1:30 p.m.
for a 3:00 p.m. concert
Note the new start time
Notes for players about rehearsals
- Rehearsals are on Tuesday nights, 7:30 to 9:45 pm.
- The venue needs to be set up before rehearsal. A member of the committee will arrive at 7.00pm to open up. We appreciate players turning up early to help set up the seating.
- Please be ready to tune at 7.25pm, so that rehearsal can start at 7.30pm.
- When the Leader stands to tune please be quiet. This signals that they are ready for the orchestra to tune up. Wait for the oboe to give an A. The Leader will tune the orchestra in the order of brass, woodwind, strings. Sections not being tuned should be silent.
- Please only tune quietly so that others can hear their own note. String players, initially tune your A only. When the Leader sits down you may then (and not before) tune your other strings quietly.
- Please keep any relevant conversation to a minimum and then only speak softly; and refrain from talking especially while the conductor is addressing the orchestra or any section.
- There is a break in the middle of the rehearsal for coffee, tea and chat. Please do listen for when you need to be back in place to re-start.
- At the end of rehearsal please help to put the chairs and other furniture back where they were before rehearsal for the next users of the church or hall. This must always be done.
- If you are unable to attend rehearsal please contact your section leader to record your apology.